Mechanics, what the player does defines gameplay.
- With a top down view fly on a 2D plane through space controlling a space ship
- Connect planets with trade routes by flying between them to gain score
- Break the trade routes of other players by creating a trade route that crosses theirs
- Kill other players
Does that sound like a game ?
Sounds like something is missing right ? Some of the biggest questions remaining are:
- What would the winning condition be ?
- How long should a game last ?
- Levels Design
- How large are the levels ?
- In non-space games the levels are traditionally divided by walls. What are the elements in the levels design ?
Could it be that space is just too boring ? Would a zone 66 type game with a terrain be more interesting ? What would happen to the trade route connection mechanic ? How about towers that transport energy to the team’s base ?
If there is a terrain:
- Travel on foot
- Have land based vehicles
- Definitely have more level design elements
- Much more work